Friday 23 October 2015

Continuing the Novel

As I've mentioned before, beginning a new story is easy, but continuing the story is pretty difficult for me. Once I have begun the story and have had some time to reflect on the beginning, I naturally begin making plans for the rest of the novel. I create expectations for what I want the next chapters to look like, which then form a roadblock for me when I try to actually write those chapters, since they never match what I have in my head. A different block that I get is when I know where I want the characters to end up later in the novel, but don't know how to bridge the gap between where they are and where I want to them to get to. 
The part of my personality that holds me back from writing is my perfectionism. I always want to be the best at everything I do, and I want to be there the moment I try something new. I don't often give myself room to do less than perfect when I first begin. For my writing, I've been actively trying to remind myself that I always edit my work later, but I still struggle with moving forward in my writing. 
So, I've barely written anything new since the last time I posted. However, just because Genius Hour is basically over, this project isn't over. After all, this Genius "Hour" project is really my Genius "Life" project. It began before this "Hour" began, and it will continue on afterwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment